Welcome to Spirit of the Hills
Comprised of artists, artisans, performing artists, photographers, writers and patrons, Spirit of the Hills embraces all art forms and traditions including the performing and visual arts, media, design, and literature. Our goal is to build and sustain the Arts and Artists in Northumberland County. This web site highlights current and upcoming group and member events and showcases some of our members’ works.
Spirit of the Hills is pleased to announce our 2019 festival which will be entitled “Twenty Years of Sharing Across the Arts.” The event will be held October 24th-26th, 2019 at St. Peter’s Anglican Church in Cobourg. It will include an art show, book fair, workshops, a drama and dance night, and a concert and launch of the fourth illustrated anthology Hill Spirits IV as well as other special events. Stay tuned for more details.
Festival of the Arts – Square Foot Art Show & Sale
This is your invitation to participate in the SQUARE FOOT ART SHOW & SALE. The show is open to all SOTH artist members (painters, photographers, fabric artists, artisans, sculptors, multi-media, etc.).
It is hoped that the 12 inches x 12 inches works of art will provide Festival visitors with a variety of styles including landscape, abstract, figurative, realism, cityscape, and floral as well as various media including oils, acrylics, watercolours, photography, fabric art, sculpture, stained glass and mixed media.
Art will be hung by the Visual Arts Committee on our SOTH black grids. There is no theme to restrict you. You may create as you wish. All work will be priced at $75 (no HST). SOTH will take a modest 10% commission as there is no registration fee in order to participate.
Festival of the Arts – Painting Prose & Poetry Challenge
The “PAINTING PROSE & POETRY CHALLENGE” is a new event whereby artists will be matched with SOTH writers and challenged to paint an image inspired by an author’s book.
At the Festival itself, the artists will then complete a painting (or drawing) within a certain time limit.
Festival visitors from the public will be invited to grab a refreshment; then stay to watch the creative process in progress.
The challenge will take place during SOTH’s Festival of the Arts at St. Peter’s Anglican Church, 240 College Street in Cobourg on Saturday, Oct. 26th between 10 am to 2 pm.
Visitors will be asked to submit ballots so as to vote for their favourite art with a chance to win both the original artwork and a copy of the book from which the excerpt was taken.
Festival Tickets are Now Available
Festival of the Arts Blog
Don’t stop here! Visit our festival blog where you’ll find: Great News, Festival Workshops, How art is like falling in love and so much more.
Artists Call – Square Foot Art Show & Sale
The show will take place during SOTH’s Festival of the Arts at St. Peter’s Anglican Church, 240 College Street in Cobourg on Friday, Oct. 25th (1 pm to 6 pm) and on Saturday, Oct. 26th (10 am to 5 pm).
Entry Deadline: Friday, Sept 20, 2019
Artists Call - Painting Prose & Poetry Challenge
A maximum of six artists will be part of the challenge. If you would like to participate, please register before the Friday, September 20, 2019 deadline. Artists will be chosen on a “first come, first served” basis.
Entry Deadline: September 20, 2019
Spirit Events Calendar
For full details of all Spirit of the Hills events, please visit our Group Events page. For our Festival of the Arts, see information above.
- March 30 to September 28, 2019 – Spirit of the Hills Art Show and Sale at Warkworth Library – Featuring the work of over 20 Spirit of the Hills Artists
- May 6 to August 27, 2019 – Lasting Impressions at Campbellford Library – Featuring paintings by Mandy Bing, Judy Hopkins and Olga Nienhuys
- May to November, 2019 – Northumberland Hills Hospital Exhibit – Featuring paintings and photographs by members of Spirit of the Hills
- July 29, 2019 to October 28, 2020 – Life in Canada’s Great Bear Rainforest at Capers Restaurant – Featuring photographs by Tony Crocker
- August 27, 2019 to January 6, 2020 – Rhythm and Colours at Campbellford Library – Featuring the paintings of Anita Gutteridge and Louise Leclerc-Aronson
- October 24th to October 26th, 2019 – the 2019 Festival of the Arts entitled “Twenty Years of Sharing Across the Arts.” The event will be held at St. Peter’s Anglican Church in Cobourg.