Welcome to Spirit of the Hills
Comprised of artists, artisans, performing artists, photographers, writers and patrons, Spirit of the Hills embraces all art forms and traditions including the performing and visual arts, media, design, and literature. Our goal is to build and sustain the Arts and Artists in Northumberland County. This web site highlights current and upcoming group and member events and showcases some of our members’ works.
Spirit of the Hills is pleased to announce our 2019 festival which will be entitled “Twenty Years of Sharing Across the Arts.” The event will be held October 24th-26th, 2019 at St. Peter’s Anglican Church in Cobourg. It will include an art show, book fair, workshops, a drama and dance night, and a concert and launch of the fourth illustrated anthology Hill Spirits IV as well as other special events. Stay tuned for more details.
Festival of the Arts Photography Contest
Do You have a Passion for Photography? Spirit of the Hills is delighted to announce a juried competition themed ‘Sharing’ open to all residents of the Northumberland Hills area. The winning photographs will be exhibited at the Festival of the Arts on October 25-26, 2019. Categories include ‘Land Water Sky’, ‘At the market/at the fair/on the farm’ and ‘Sports/Recreation’. Open to all residents of Northumberland Hills area. Entry fee $10 for adults; Free for youths under 19. 3 images per/person; one entry to the competition per person. Deadline for submissions is midnight August 15, 2019.
Prizes include $100 first prize in Adult category; $50 second prize in Adult category, $100 first prize in Youth 19 and under category; $50 second prize. The winning photographs will also be promoted on SOTH website, Facebook, and elsewhere. Click here to read full contest rules and to enter online.
Festival of the Arts Writing Contest
Do you have prose or poetry pining for publication? Yes! Then we have an opportunity for you. Spirit of the Hills invites you to celebrate our 20th Anniversary with your prose and/or poetry. Winning entries will be published in our successful Hill Spirits anthology series. Hill Spirits IV will be launched at the Spirit of the Hills Festival of the Arts the evening of Oct. 26, 2019.
For the Winners: One prose piece and one poem will be chosen for publication in Hill Spirits IV. Winners will receive a copy of Hill Spirits IV, promotion at the Spirit of the Hills Festival of the Arts; on social media and with a radio interview on ‘Word on the Hills’ Northumberland 89.7 FM. Winners will be contacted by email.
Spirit Events Calendar
For full details of all Spirit of the Hills events, please visit our Group Events page.
- Warkworth Library show featuring SOTH painters and photographers. Show runs until March 30, 2019.
- Painters’ & Photographers’ Passions at Capers Restaurant Campbellford featuring work from the SOTH Visual Arts Committee
- Northumberland Hills Hospital show runs until May 2019
- Two Shows in One At the Campbellford Library: “Landscape & Literature” The Mixed Media Art of Christopher Thorpe and
“Canada’s Great Bear Rainforest” The Wildlife Photography of Tony Crocker. Show runs until Mar 26, 2019
- “River, Rock & Forest” the art of Dania Madera-Lerman at Capers Restaurant, Feb 25 to Apr 28, 2019
- Northumberland Hills Hospital show featuring SOTH painters and photographers runs until Nov. 28, 2019
- Warkworth Library show featuring SOTH painters and photographers Mar 30 to Sep 28, 2019
- Campbellford Library Show “Lasting Impressions” featuring Mandy Bing, Judy Hopkins and Olga Nienhuys runs May 6 to Sep 3, 2019
- Two different Felting Workshops with Eva Camacho: Wool + Paper Felting Workshop – June 10-12, 2019 and Seamless Felted Bag Workshop – June 14-15, 2019. Registration now open. See our events page for details.
- 2019 Festival of the Arts entitled “Twenty Years of Sharing Across the Arts.” The event will be held October 24th-26th, 2019 at St. Peter’s Anglican Church in Cobourg.